January 5, 2017
It’s January—time to get to the gym.
At least that’s what leading gyms and fitness clubs hope you’ll be doing. To start the year, we wanted to study the strategies of PPC advertisers around the common New Years resolution of joining a gym. We trended our PPC market share data and Search Marketing Visibility Scores for the keywords “fitness centers”, “fitness clubs”, and “gym memberships” to see who came out on top.
Gym Membership Market Share
What this metric reveals: The Search Monitor’s SEM Market Share data expresses the likelihood of an advertiser getting a click for a given keyword or keyword set, given their rank and frequency.
Here’s what we found:
- Planet Fitness: Planet Fitness maintained the market share lead over the two weeks leading up to the new year, with close to 80% market share several days during the time period monitored. It’s interesting to see the sharp drop off on January 2nd. We will be curious to check back in to see if that trend continues.
- 24 Hour Fitness: Held a consistent market share throughout the time period monitored. Does this mean 24 Hour Fitness did not change their strategy leading up to the new year?
- Anytime Fitness: Anytime Fitness had the lowest market share in our comparison, which is interesting considering their visibility score over the two week time period monitored (see below). But, you’ll see their share did jump to match that of 24 Hour Fitness the day after New Year’s. Could this be the start of a strong January PPC push?
Gym Membership Search Marketing Visibility
What this metric reveals: The Search Monitor’s Search Marketing Visibility Score™ (SMVS™) indicates a company’s likelihood to receive a click given its competitors’ presence. Learn more about the SMVS. (Note that this metric is different than the PPC market share charted above, as it includes Organic and, when applicable, Google Shopping visual ads. It’s a helpful additional way to evaluate an advertiser’s click potential.)
Here’s what we found:
- Planet Fitness: Planet Fitness had high visibility both weeks monitored, scoring second in visibility the week leading up to Christmas, and the highest score possible (100) the week leading up to January 1st.
- Anytime Fitness: Anytime Fitness came in 1st for visibility the week of December 18-25 (99), but dropped off the following week.
- 24 Hour Fitness: Held the 3rd place spot both weeks, increasing their visibility score from 28 to 48 leading up to January 1st.
If you’d like more details on PPC market share, or Search Marketing Visibility, contact us or set up a demo and we’ll show you the data for your industry and competitors.Request a Demo
—Tags: Free TSM Data, market visibility, Paid Ad Monitoring (SEM)