How does seasonality impact clickthrough rates (CTRs)?
The chart below shows CTR benchmarks for five key PPC verticals---Retail, Finance, Travel, Auto, and Telecom---during the past four quarters, and for two important benchmark groups:
How do these trends compare with your clickthrough rate data?
- The Search Monitor's top-tier advertisers (the group of 10 advertisers who received the most clicks during the quarter)
- The Search Monitor's middle-tier advertisers (the group of 10 advertisers whose click volumes represented the middle of the click volume witnessed during the quarter)
Source: Lighthouse — Google & Bing (Q3 2014-Q2 2015)
Highlights From the CTR Trend Chart
- Retail: In 2014, Q4 had much higher clickthrough rates versus Q3 (to be expected given the holiday season). The big surprise, however, was the spike in CTRs during Q2 of 2015, actually higher (slightly) than Q4 of 2014. Since our group of retail keywords is fairly broad, we'd be interested to see if this Q2 spike was driven by a few specific summer-related retail categories.
- Travel: For top-tier advertisers, Q2 saw significantly higher CTRs. Summer vacation planning season, perhaps?
- Telecom: Telecom saw the highest average CTR of all five verticals analyzed (9.6%), with the highest CTRs coming in Q2 for top-tier advertisers. Which telecom sub-verticals drove the Q2 spike? (Ask us if you're interested.)
Get the Benchmark Guide for PPC Marketers for Q2 2015
Ready to show off your new marketing superpowers at your next meeting? Download the PPC benchmark Guide
and wow the pants off your bosses and clients at the next planning meeting.
This free guide provides search advertisers with:
- 5 PPC metrics: Number of Advertisers, Share, Rank, CTR, and CPC
- 5 PPC verticals: Retail, Finance, Travel, Automotive & Telecom
- Benchmarks for top-tier and middle-tier advertisers: Make sure you are better than the Middle Tier and aiming for the Top
- Recommendations: Tips for how to use each benchmark
- Checklist for ad monitoring: 10 tips for search marketers
- NEW for Q2: 12-month CPC & CTR trends, Popular Offers, Clicks by Rank