ads is a no-brainer for search marketers. Of course it makes sense to tailor your ad copy, offer, and landing page for the user's location. But geo-targeting has another, often-overlooked application in the world of search marketing. It refers to how marketers use location when they monitor for ad compliance and competitive ad intelligence. Geo-targeted ad monitoring is the ability to see how your marketing partners and search competitors behave by city, country, and even language. Why is it needed? The most savvy PPC marketers have learned that they can break the rules in certain geographies and avoid detection from advertisers who only check at a national level. Here's an example to drive home the importance of geo-targeting your ad monitoring. The chart below compares the prominence of sale-related offers for searches on cheap car rentals, and does it across seven US cities.
Why You Should Geo-Target Your Ad Monitoring
- Sale-related ad copy appeared in all seven cities we monitored on PPC from January 28th to February 4th, 2016.
- The difference was obviously in how many ads used these offers across the cities. In this sample, the range was fairly narrow, from a low of 56% in Phoenix to a a high of 72% in both Chicago and Houston
- An advertiser in Phoenix, for example, could view this data and decide that there is an opportunity to add more sale offers to stand out from their competitors. A Chicago advertiser, meanwhile, may realize that they need to add more sale offers just to keep up with the competition.
What Should You Do?
- Try Your Top Locations: We performed this analysis with just one offer type, for one keyword set, during one week, and for seven cities. We recommend using your ad monitoring tool to analyze different offers as well as important brand messaging. Do this for your top 20 most important cities or countries.
- Checking Brand Protection By City: You (hopefully) already monitor your brand as it appears in paid search on a national level. But, it's vital to perform your brand protection searches on a city-by-city basis to see where advertisers might be piggybacking off your brand.
- Monitor Your Affiliates By City: Make sure your affiliates are obeying your program rules in each of your top 20 or so geographies. Affiliates have been known to break the rules in certain areas, or to only obey the rules where your office is so you think they are obeying the rules everywhere!
Industries That Can Benefit From Geo-Targeting
- Retail (physical stores, local offers, etc.)
- Automotive (car dealerships, regional marketing groups, etc.)
- Education (online colleges, physical colleges, etc.)
- Travel & Tourism (Attractions, entertainment, etc.)
- Finance & Insurance (branches for banks, insurance agents, etc.
- Telecom (cable and Internet companies love to change offers by city)
How To Set Up Geo-Targeting Request a demo
and provide us with your important locations, and we can discuss what we capture. [demobutton] ---