Search Marketing Trends To Watch-Q2 2020
We are sharing search marketing trends you need to be watching as we head into Q2 2020. What trends are you watching?
As Online Shopping Behavior Changes, So Does Ad Spend
With people self-isolating and leaving the house less often, it has had an impact on shopping behaviors. From bulk-buying to online shopping, people are changing what they’re buying, when, and how.
It probably doesn’t surprise you that online purchases for toilet paper have spiked by 186% (Adobe). Here are some interesting Ad Spend changes we pulled from LighthouseTM.
- Squarespace ad spend increased 267% in March. As more and more businesses that relied on in-store purchases move online, Squarespace is upping ad spend to capture those searching for ecommerce solutions.
- Teleconferencing giant Zoom decreased ad spend by 58%, while GoTo Meeting increased spend by 28%. Zoom has benefited from a lot of free publicity (both good and bad) during the COVID-19 crisis. GoTo Meeting is likely playing catch up. Another player in the teleconference game, RingCentral, increased ad spend by 539% in March, but is still spending a fraction of what GoTo Meeting and Zoom are spending.
- Several online grocery ordering advertisers decreased ad spend.
- Instacart decreased spend by 79%
- Walmart grocery decreased send by 60%
- Kroger decreased spend by 40%
- Thrive Market decreased spend by 33%
- Publix decreased spend by 23%
- Alternatively, Safeway and Target increased spend by 40% and 217% respectively
Want to see ad spend changes for a particular vertical? Contact us and we can show you data for one of our over 1200 verticals we monitor.
Google Announces $340 million in ad credits for SMBsAs the coronavirus outbreak continues to worsen around the world, it’s taking a devastating toll on lives and communities. To help address some of these challenges, Google announced a new $800+ million commitment to support small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), health organizations and governments, and health workers on the frontline of this global pandemic. That includes $340 million in Google Ads credits available to all SMBs with active accounts over the past year. Credit notifications will appear in their Google Ads accounts and can be used at any point until the end of 2020 across Google’s advertising platforms. Learn more about Google’s other commitmentshere. <
Amazon rolls out product targeting for Sponsored Display for US SellersAmazon announced a new product target for sponsored display. With these features, now available in Seller Central, sellers can promote product discovery with ads that reach shoppers who are actively browsing similar or complementary products and categories on Amazon. This release brings product targeting to more advertisers, with enhanced options to reach audiences throughout the purchase journey.
Amazon shared four ways that Sponsored Display product targeting can help sellers, including:
- Product discovery
- Reaching like-minded audiences
- Promoting relevant add-ons
- Staying top-of-mind
Learn more from Amazon.